"Sounds like black privilege to me": Blackout on White Media Concerns, Comments, Criticism

Analysing mass media, intercultural and interpersonal communication.
DanielS

"Sounds like black privilege to me": Blackout on White Media Concerns, Comments, Criticism

Postby DanielS » Tue 03 May 2016 22:21

Sounds like black privilege to me”: Rampant racism forces Fox News to close comments section on Malia Obama article
An article about Malia Obama's choice of college garnered racially charged reader comments on Fox News.

FILE- In this April 8, 2016, file photo, President Barack Obama and his daughter Malia walk from Marine One toward Air Force One at Los Angeles International Airport. Malia is taking a year off after graduating from high school before attending Harvard University as part of an expanding program for students known as a "gap year." (AP Photo/Nick Ut, File)(Credit: AP)

After posting a news story about Malia Obama’s decision to take a gap year before beginning Harvard, Fox News was forced to remove the comment section from the article, after an avalanche of racism by readers, according to reverbpress.

Although the comments are now hidden, Addicting Info managed to take several screenshots of the hatefulness posted some on the news site. Typos and grammatical errors have been included as per the original:

I wonder if she applied as a muDslime..or a foreign student..or just a N—–

According to the screenshot, this comment garnered the most likes from other users, managing to combine three different groups of people into one racist sentence.
DanielS

Re: "Sounds like black privilege to me": Blackout on White Media Concerns, Comments, Criticism

Postby DanielS » Tue 03 May 2016 22:31

The Guardian is an archaic outfit whose propaganda operations will always be defeated. Posted by Kumiko Oumae

Return to “Media & Discourse Analysis”