After Bok, a Show of Hands

Posted by Guessedworker on Sunday, 18 February 2007 15:49.

I am indebted to Troy Southgate for putting up a link to this video, Roots, by folk-rock musicians and, it seems, English cultural heroes Show of Hands ...

As what, I suppose, might be described by our liberal friends - without much love - as a professional Englishman, my reaction to it was a curious mix of mild embarrassment and stubborn pride.  The one was a middle-class sensibility and the other something wholly Anglo-Saxon.  In fairness, this isn’t quite my usual musical stamping ground, and I’m not accustomed to hearing my own English voice shouting so unselfconsciously into the political wind (though I gather from Troy’s frequent references to such music on New Right Forum that there is a thriving sub-culture in statements of this sort).

After a couple of plays stubborness got the upper hand, I’m glad to say.  I was reminded of a moment towards the end of Tolstoy’s War and Peace, which I read thirty-five years ago, where the colours of the defeated French are ceremonially lowered before General Kutouzov, with all his Grand Army, a monument to stubborness, looking on.  I think the real event occurred after the Battle of Maloyaroslavets.  Anyway, Tolstoy has it that as the colours are lowered the company wait in silence for the words of their great chief.  None, however, come.  Instead he, well knowing the spirit of the common soldier, issues an almighty oath and turns his horse away.  The men assembled across the hillsides hear and understand, and they respond in kind with a long and faithful roar.

This crude vigour lives in our people, too.  The elegant flutterings of the intellectual lepidoptera never call it forth.  But music does, and it is here in this song.

Comments:

Posted by Alan (UK) on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:04 | #

Yet another voice dissenting the programmed destruction of our country. Do I detect a growing retaliation against the tyrannical features of a failed Blairite regime? I sincerely hope I do, as the song says…..“This is my country and I want it back”.....we CAN take it back.

Posted by wintermute on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:01 | #

my reaction to it was a curious mix of mild embarrassment and stubborn pride.

Between mild embarrassment and stubborn pride seems just the right place for an Englishman, GW.

Sort of how most people function best between 65 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Posted by W.LindsayWheeler on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:31 | #

Though I would be more impressed with the video if it had shots of the British Military in ceremony, castles, country life and a picture of the monarchy and House of Lords.  I didn’t get those white modern domes in the video.  If the song is about getting back to British Culture back to Anglo-Saxon tradition, I would think that the video would match that tradition.  In some ways it did and in others it did not. I like the lyrics but the rythmn could be more stirring.

Posted by Furius on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:48 | #

Those comments on You Tube ought to give you hope GW. If the English still have the fire in their hearts, their country can be saved. The only question is how strong that fire is and how it can be kept alive.

Posted by Proofreader on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:15 | #

The lyrics:

‘ROOTS’ by Steve Knightley.

“Now it’s been twenty-five years or more
I’ve roamed this land from shore to shore
From Tyne to Tamar, Severn to Thames
From moor to vale, from peak to fen
Played in cafes and pubs and bars
I’ve stood in the street with my old guitar
But I’d be richer than all the rest
If I had a pound for each request
For ‘Duelling Banjos’ ‘American Pie’
Its enough to make you cry
‘Rule Britannia’ or ‘Swing Low’
Are they the only songs the English know?

Seed, bud, flower, fruit
They’re never gonna grow without their roots
Branch, stem, shoots - they need roots

After the speeches when the cake’s been cut
The disco is over and the bar is shut
At christening, birthday, wedding or wake
What can we sing until the morning breaks?
When the Indian, Asians, Afro, Celts
It’s in their blood, below the belt
They’re playing and dancing all night long
So what have they got right that we’ve got wrong?

Seed, bud, flower, fruit
Never gonna grow without their roots
Branch, stem, shoots - we need roots

Haul away boys let them go
Out in the wind and the rain and snow
We’ve lost more than we’ll ever know
Round the rocky shores of England

And a minister said his vision of hell
Is three folk singers in a pub near Wells
Well I’ve got a vision of urban sprawl
It’s pubs where no one ever sings at all
And everyone stares at a great big screen
Over-paid soccer stars, prancing teens
Australian soap, American rap
Estuary English, baseball caps
And we learn to be ashamed before we walk
Of the way we look and the way we talk
Without our stories or our songs
How will we know where weve come from?
I’ve lost St George in the Union Jack
It’s my flag too and I want it back

Seed, bud, flower, fruit
Never gonna grow without their roots
Branch, stem, shoots - we need roots

Haul away boys let them go
Out in the wind and the rain and snow
We’ve lost more than we’ll ever know
Round the rocky shores of England”

Posted by Guessedworker on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:26 | #

Thanks, Proofreader.  I appreciate that.

Posted by Proofreader on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:29 | #

You´re welcome, GW. Great blog!

Posted by W.LindsayWheeler on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:46 | #

I would like to retract the last part of this sentence: “I like the lyrics but the rythmn could be more stirring.”  The rythmn is alright. I can’t get the song out of my mind. It is quite catchy.

This song reminds me of the time I spent in boot camp of the FFL.  We had five Englishmen.  On a couple of nights, they would burst into song.  I didn’t know that Englishmen were such singers.  They sung every tune from movies, to musical scores, to pop songs, to folk songs.  They could go for hours.  I was totally blown away and impressed.  They knew so much by memory.  It was one of my favorite times in the Legion.

Next entry: Heroville
Previous entry: To A Soulless White College Student

Comments

4 or 5 Paris terrorists were of Berber background commented in entry 'The Alternative-Right's big tent, would additionally include the Jews for some unknown reason.' on Tue, 24 May 2016 05:24. (View)

Guessedworker commented in entry 'Goodnight Vienna. Goodbye Brussels.' on Tue, 24 May 2016 04:45. (View)

sleep is the highest genius commented in entry 'Dark Side of Self Actualization & Incommensurate GenderAgendas' on Tue, 24 May 2016 04:31. (View)

former intelligence officer Scott Rickard commented in entry 'The NSA collects information on Israeli lobbyists, Jews scream bloody murder.' on Mon, 23 May 2016 22:24. (View)

Genetic matching/dating service commented in entry 'Euro-DNA Nation' on Mon, 23 May 2016 21:47. (View)

Julie Lake on the BNP & Jack Sen commented in entry 'An initial stream of exposure of Giacomo Vallone & The European Knights Project points to Jack Sen' on Mon, 23 May 2016 20:41. (View)

Nepal marks 2 yrs since last rhino poached commented in entry 'Survivor located of a branch not seen in 30 years among one of the most endangered species' on Mon, 23 May 2016 19:39. (View)

Paul C Roberts: Hillary=Nuland Secretary of State commented in entry 'The Implication for European Peoples: How Fairly Obscure Neo-Con Bureaucrats Cause Wars' on Mon, 23 May 2016 17:39. (View)

Monsanto family were YKW slave owners/dealers commented in entry 'Bayer offers buy-out of Monsanto - use of pesticide glyphosate contaminates majority of Germans' on Mon, 23 May 2016 16:28. (View)

pesiticide disrupts endocrine, fertility commented in entry 'Bayer offers buy-out of Monsanto - use of pesticide glyphosate contaminates majority of Germans' on Mon, 23 May 2016 16:10. (View)

Guessedworker commented in entry 'A little to cheer' on Mon, 23 May 2016 14:42. (View)

Bayer intends to buy Monsanto commented in entry 'Invasion and the Wrecking of Libya' on Mon, 23 May 2016 13:55. (View)

35,000 yr old mtDNA haplogroup U6 from Romania commented in entry 'Euro-DNA Nation' on Mon, 23 May 2016 12:03. (View)

EU Exit flags in Rome commented in entry 'Rome: Thousands Rally against Invasion' on Mon, 23 May 2016 09:48. (View)

Defend V4 Europe commented in entry 'Hungarian - Polish Alliance Crucial: effective against EU but conflicted in regard to Russia' on Mon, 23 May 2016 08:30. (View)

FPÖ Wins, but Postal Votes to Come commented in entry 'A little to cheer' on Mon, 23 May 2016 08:13. (View)

Makran commented in entry 'Can Cosa Nostra Re-Organize on its Racial Roots in True Honor to Defend Italy and Europe?' on Sun, 22 May 2016 22:46. (View)

Guessedworker commented in entry 'A little to cheer' on Sun, 22 May 2016 18:09. (View)

Guessedworker commented in entry 'A little to cheer' on Sun, 22 May 2016 18:02. (View)

Hungarian - Polish Alliance crucial commented in entry 'A question to those who know eastern Europe' on Sun, 22 May 2016 08:59. (View)

Europe would have 2nd most powerful military commented in entry 'Russian Federation Worried About NATO buildup & missile defense of Europe' on Sun, 22 May 2016 08:42. (View)

Trump & Roy Cohn commented in entry 'Obvious ambush: Donald Trump embraces the Jews, and then opens fire against White Nationalists.' on Sat, 21 May 2016 19:07. (View)

where is that? commented in entry 'Vigilant not to assimilate Israeli wars, nor that of any son of Abraham' on Sat, 21 May 2016 19:00. (View)

Old Monsanto Had A Farm commented in entry 'Invasion and the Wrecking of Libya' on Sat, 21 May 2016 18:41. (View)

Kishi also edited "raging bull" commented in entry 'Seduction of NFL Films, Appeal of L.A. Rams 60's, 70's, dodging legacy of sports-fan cuckoldry' on Sat, 21 May 2016 18:12. (View)

Yoshi Kishi, John Facenda, Sam Spence commented in entry 'Seduction of NFL Films, Appeal of L.A. Rams 60's, 70's, dodging legacy of sports-fan cuckoldry' on Sat, 21 May 2016 15:38. (View)

UN plot to stop 'extremism' online commented in entry 'Merkel and Zuckerberg are teaming up to attack you on Facebook' on Sat, 21 May 2016 13:26. (View)

Oil glut not over commented in entry 'Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Long Game: Today is a Good Day.' on Sat, 21 May 2016 13:09. (View)

Why Washington fears Brexit commented in entry 'European Union: A Complete Waste of Time?' on Sat, 21 May 2016 12:18. (View)

"spearhead deployment" commented in entry 'Russian Federation Worried About NATO buildup & missile defense of Europe' on Sat, 21 May 2016 12:08. (View)

Duda, "Clinton grossly mislead" commented in entry 'Russian Federation Worried About NATO buildup & missile defense of Europe' on Sat, 21 May 2016 10:02. (View)

DanielS commented in entry 'In evolutionary agency, directing moral rules for our people & putting Abraham where it belongs.' on Sat, 21 May 2016 08:36. (View)

Captainchaos commented in entry 'In evolutionary agency, directing moral rules for our people & putting Abraham where it belongs.' on Sat, 21 May 2016 07:42. (View)

Lee Rigby family release video tribute commented in entry 'The Woolwich Outrage - can't have the lower orders getting too excited' on Sat, 21 May 2016 07:26. (View)

Titanic gender dispute commented in entry 'YKW, Universities & The Big Business of Selling Talk' on Sat, 21 May 2016 07:12. (View)